Wednesday, June 12, 2013

A letter for Mr. Tim Blanks

Photo: Vogue.it


As I write this note I think to myself... Damn! I saw him so many times at Lincoln Center last Fashion Week... I should have asked him for a photo!
This is a letter for Mr. Tim Blanks.






From all those letters, posts and notes I've read on the internet, there is no way to express how much you changed  the fashion world and the very well deserved Media Award in honour of Eugenia Sheppard that was given to you at the CFDA Awards 2013. 
Luckly, there is one  to say how much you changed my world...
Being a fashion lover in a third world country is probably not a common passion. Specially when you are a 13 year old boy in the early 21st. Century in a country where politics and hunger are the primary topic of the day.
I remember the  first time I saw Fashion file on E! with a very particular voice and an accent that I could barely understand in my very bad english at that age, to hear and watch all those big fashion capitals full of incredible designers, models and events called Fashion Week which for me, served as a window to a whole different world, a world that I wanted to discover everytime I watched each of your reports.
As I grew up, I became more conscious about your runway analysis, how to pronounce names like Gaultier, discovered people like Hilary Alexander and learnt who where - the - people in the business and more importantly the backstage access that showed me far away from Paris, London or New York (a tv in my room) an inside view of the perfectly controled chaos of the runways...

One of the reasons I created this blog, was mainly because I was inspired by your work and, in an effort to follow in your steps, expose to the world with (hopefully for my readers) a relevant point of view what fashion is in my country and region (Latin America). A point of view that challenges me to reach an international level and  high standards that you with Fashion File have established for the fashion world.

I don't even know if you will ever read this post, but in case you do, I want to say THANK YOU for your work and specially because you opened a door in my world, the fashion world.
Contratulations for your CFDA Award!

From Guatemala with love...
Nando.


No comments:

Post a Comment